What I'm Listening to...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why I Hate Jazmine Sullivan's "Bust Your Windows"

I know this song is kinda old now, but I still wanna speak on it. I'm not a fan of Jazmine Sullivan's in the first place. Her voice gets on my last nerve. It always sounds like she's in pain. Anywho, that's neither here nor there. As much as I hate to listen to her, I decided to sit down one day and listen to the song in its entirety. That was stupid. The whole song is the embodiment of the "angry black woman" stereotype. She catches her man cheating and decides to hurt him back by busting his car windows. Wow. That's mature. Now don't get me wrong. I've never been with a guy for five years, but if i had been with him that long only to find out he was a lying, cheating snake yeah I'd be hurt beyond belief. But to think that I'm so shaken up over you that I'd actually go so far as to vandalize your property?? Please don't flatter yourself!! It's really not that serious. You are not the end. Life goes on with or without you. My mother once told about one of her relatives who gave this man the best years of her life. She married him right out of high school, and they started a family immediately. She thought everything was going well. Years later, he leaves their house one night and calls her hours later to let her know that he was wasn't coming back. She had absolutely no job and had several children to raise. I can't begin to imagine the pain she felt. Know what she did? She went to her room, cried her eyes out for about 10 minutes, wiped them away, and moved on. From what I understand, she has a good job now and is doing really well for herself. So are her children. This is the type of story I'd like to hear in a song. Not that "My man left me and I'm so hurt and bitter so I'm gonna make him feel my pain" crap in Jazmine Sullivan's song. I recommend "My Joy" by Leela James, where she sings: "Cause if I thought you were the end all in my be all/I would've never left you alone/and I wouldn't be on my own/and I never never would've grown. And she does not have to bust your windows in order for you to know.

No comments: